December 21, 2006

Food Trip

Yesterday I tasted the relaunched digestive biscuits from Britannia- simply yummy- much like Mcvities now. I just recollected some of my favourite munchies which have gone missing ( or at least I do not get to see them)

Crax- Onion rings/ Cheese rings made from corn- The jingle would say" the sound of snacks has changed into CRAX!"
Phantom cigarettes- The mock cigarette gave me such a cool adrenaline rush
Fryums- The original branded ones in checks, stars and wheels
Rose mint- I think from Parle which came in a white pack - as set of 5-10 rectangular rose mints with hardly any mint content
Goli soda- The green glass bottles which have something like a lemon soda but sweet version ( the aversion for any non-mineral water has seen this one's decline)
Desi Corn fritters- It was a wonderful snack- roughly - dry shredded corn, deep-fried at home

Barley/ Bali sugar- This hard boiled toffee in rich hues, sourced from Calcutta, was a mandatory fixture for Christmas. I just cannot find it at all in Kolkatta or in the Anglo Indian parts of Chennai
Nutrine Coconut crunchies- these were coin shaped coconut candy of yore

Geographic distance- keeps me away from dabeli, wada pav, misal paav, bhel puri, daal baati choorma, brownie sizzler and Wibs bread. Awaiting my trip to Mumbai.


17 comments:

Itchingtowrite said...

phantom cigarettes r available in nolgiris but who knows u may not like it now as much as u liked it before as its just sugar and mint....btw, great minds or rather hungry minds think alike yet again. I hav a half done post on the new stuff i hav tasted during the course of my job - they are new to me products and i realise what all i hav been missing

Something to Say said...

me too, me too...waiting to visit mumbai. O i also miss Britannia Jim-Jam biscuits...the ones with a jam+cream core. And Pani puri. and Indian Chinese (regular chinese is sooo not happening ;) ) And ragda pattice. And sugarcane juice. And....
I'm gonna need a post for this ;)

Alan said...

OK, I have to ask, what was previously in Phantom cigarettes that would cause an adrenaline rush?

I remember as a kid we would buy candy cigarettes. They were purely sugar and had a slighty mint flavor. They were shaped like a real cigarette, and had a drop of red coloring on one end to simulate burning.

I'm sure government regulators and the PC crowd would go insane if someone tried to manufacture those today.

Alan said...

Do rose mints taste like rose flowers? I tried Gulab Jamun with rose syrup and it was very much like eating soap.

Being the observant fellow that I am, I noticed that you and Itching To Write, have the same internet service, similar templates, both live in Chennai, work in marketing, and have an interest in fragrances. Are you two best friends or sisters maybe?

Anonymous said...

Thats so true Art navy!!!!!! I can have all those!!!!! and chipniks wafers and peppy and fruty and appy and ........ i need to stop here :) Nice post :)

http://withacupofcoffee.wordpress.com/

Artnavy said...

rooma and sts- do write in on your food memories

Alan- i assure you rose mint does not taste like soap
the cigarrete is just as u describe but the rush was beacuse smoking was taboo and adult

itchy is my ex colleague and she works in bakery/confectionary now and i continue in fragrances, the rest is coincidence

Anonymous said...

And same to you and your family. Hope things have been well. :]

How I wish I had some bhel puri right now...

Anonymous said...

i miss goli soda toooo... and it used to be called "color" if its sweet. and there was another one called "gold spot" which had badam milk and rose milk.. those good old days before carbonated western junk took over..

KK said...

Of your list I remember enjoying
Phantom Cigarettes
Fryums
Goli Soda
Bali Sugar (Bali muttai)
Coconut crunchy
Of these Fryums and Goli soda are my all time favourites...

Patti said...

Hey do u remember...we went to Sourabh/HD's house and were pretty excited coz they had Phantom cigarettes there. We had one and realised the nostalgia of those cigarettes were a lot yummier!

Artnavy said...

hey patti- good to see u here- how r u doing-
After Sourabh's, never had the phantom ciggies- maybe time for Batman cigars??

tris said...

sometime the word "digestive" puts me off though I do love marie biscuits...

tris said...

sometime the word "digestive" puts me off though I do love marie biscuits...

Anonymous said...

aaah you made my mouth water.. rose mint from parle. yummmmm.

Anonymous said...

Rose mints... they should start making them again. Only rose flavout could be tasted... no mint. But reaaly refreshing

Anonymous said...

Rose mint - the taste still lingers in my tongue

Anand Jain said...

I just wish I can have a pack and get my kids to taste those tasty rose mints. I simply loved them.

Lets request Parle to come up with a commemorative batch.