I went for my annual eye check up last night.
The doc there explained how I should be resting my chin etc and I grinned and said
" I have been doing this for 23 years now. I almost know the letters and numbers by heart."
Yes, I have been wearing specs/ lenses for 23 yrs now- since I was 10 yrs old. I have known
- the pride of wearing glasses and looking an intellectual
- the hurt of being told "your power is so high!" by some insensitive idiots
- the feeling nerdy and self conscious and moving on to lenses in college
- Being told I have eyes that pop out like a frog to those that say they are just like Banupriya/ Aishwarya's gone deep brown
- the new found freedom and therefore investing in Ray Bans (Arista) post moving to lenses
- occasionally losing my lens and wearing specs to work and colleagues finding it everything from dignified to funny
Recently read a beautiful story from DC books- Mango children's imprint on a short sighted eagle who is the target of ridicule and yet proves himself and becomes King. We loved it.
Such a lovely way to teach sensitivity to a youngster.